Passionate about the Missouri River? Join a small, but very focused team with an amazing cause.
Position: Membership/ Outreach Coordinator
Location: Remote or Helena, Montana
Upper Missouri Watershed Alliance (UMOWA) is currently seeking a Membership/ Outreach Coordinator to join our team. This position will require the candidate to live in Helena, Montana. This is a part-time position with opportunities to grow and go full-time.
UMOWA is seeking a dynamic and entrepreneurial individual to increase membership through social media and other marketing strategies, and to engage current members for fundraising and education opportunities. The successful applicant will also analyze website/ donor database statistics and research new information to implement successful fundraising strategies.
Working closely with the UMOWA board members, the Membership/ Outreach Coordinator will assist the board in organizing restoration projects and fundraising events and will engage the Helena/ Missouri River community through email marketing, social media, and representing UMOWA at community events and meetings.
An entrepreneurial individual is needed because daily work will range from routine administrative tasks to leading/ participating in in-person restoration events with the board. The successful candidate will complete their own daily tasks and be responsible for meeting deadlines without direct supervision. This position works within the natural resource conservation community and requires skills in record-keeping and documentation, computer proficiency, strong written and verbal communication, and excellent organization.
Membership/ Outreach Coordinator tasks include but are not limited to:
- Use Hootsuite to plan social media content
- Update UMOWA’s website (https://umowa.org/) using WordPress
- Manage donor database with Kindful
- Find, write, and manage grants for UMOWA’s restoration projects
- Come up with fundraising strategies
- Design and execute marketing strategies through email using MailChimp
- Design marketing materials using Canva
- Partake in local fundraising events, such as Greater Helena Gives
- Visiting with local fly shops, Missouri River stakeholders
- Attending meetings with board members and other community members
- Plan, organize and manage logistics for UMOWA’s restoration events
Wage: $20/ hour
- Experience in community outreach, conservation, and/or public involvement.
- Bachelor’s Degree in communications, natural resources, environmental studies, public affairs, or related fields is preferred, or an equivalent combination of applicable work experience.
Desirable Experience and Qualifications:
- Proficient in WordPress and web design /development
- Comfortable with creating content and analyzing engagement statistics on all social media platforms
- Experience in writing and managing grants.
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter to UMOWA Board Chair, Sherry Meador at firstname.lastname@example.org. In your cover letter, please expand on how you would develop UMOWA’s fundraising capacity in addition to membership outreach.
All applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Upper Missouri Watershed Alliance (UMOWA) was established in 2014 by Montana residents concerned for the Upper Missouri River’s precarious aquatic health amid increased river use, local development, and changes in climate conditions. UMOWA’s mission is to conserve, understand, and enhance the Upper Missouri Watershed’s unique natural resources and recreational opportunities.
As the longest river system in North America, we know any decline in the Missouri Watershed’s health will impact downstream communities and natural areas. Our scientific studies document the present state of the Missouri River and are used as a means to measure trends in the river’s aquatic health over time.
UMOWA is a nonprofit organization guided by a volunteer board that operates on charitable donations and grants. Our mission aims to protect the Missouri River for future generations.